Just so you know, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
We hear it all the time: “You need to take care of yourself FIRST before you can take care of anyone else.” Or “You need to fill your bucket/tank/insert container here!” But who has time for that? A massage? That’s an hour! Meditation? My brain starts wondering as soon as I sit down. But what if we look at it from a slightly different angle? What if we could just get our brains to slow down just a touch? So here are 5 easy self care ideas that I use all the time to show ME some love!
Self Care Ideas!
1. Drive in silence. I know, I know. Silence can be scary, and who doesn’t love jamming out to some good tunes? But trust me: after the first minute it’s SO calming! This is best done in the car by yourself or with someone who you are comfortable with in silence. Let your mind wonder, but do NOT start making a list of what you need to do! Just enjoy the fact that there is NOTHING pulling your attention, and get lost in the quiet!!
2. Call your best friend. Who has time to actually have decent conversations anymore? We’re all running around like crazy people, just trying to keep up! But even 5-10 minutes of connecting with a best friend can be all you need to get your mind back to center. No need to get into serious discussions – Maybe just reminisce about some of the silliest things you’ve done together! Keep it light! Bonus: Even better if you can meet in person for a few minutes!
3. Spend 10 minutes on Pinterest (SET A TIMER!) searching for positive quotes. Yes, I’m serious about setting a timer. Pinterest is AMAZING but it is a rabbit hole waiting to happen so make sure you have your exit strategy ready! Search for things like “Positive Quotes”, “Empowering Quotes”, or “Motivational Quotes”. I always leave a search session feeling ready to conquer the rest of my day!!
4. Acupuncture. Yes, for real. I did acupuncture for awhile before we did our IVF cycle and it was ridiculously calming. I know it was supposed to be helping a bunch of other stuff, too, but my favorite part was how I felt when I was done. My body literally felt like Jello – maybe even slightly drunk! To the point that I would go out to my car and just sit there for a few minutes just to shake out of my crazy calmness! Man, I miss that… I should really look for a local acupuncturist again!
5. Buy yourself some flowers. Yes, it can really be that simple. Jon doesn’t believe in giving flowers. “They just die”, he says. Yes, well I enjoy flowers so sometimes I just grab a bundle from the grocery store and bring them home. They don’t need to be expensive or fancy, just something you find pretty. Put them in a place where you will walk past them frequently so that you can be reminded that you care about yourself and that you deserve them.
I hope these easy self care ideas will help you to relax and love yourself a bit more!